The question on everyone’s mind come weekend:
What can we do?
Whether you’re flying solo or you’re a social butterfly, dating, married or doing the family-thing, like me you need a life. Not for the show or because Mrs. Jones is having one, but because you’ve been wired to have adventure. South Africa has so much to offer; best we take advantage of it.
This is the first part of the ‘Making the most of your weekend series’ and it’s on Durban, Midlands and the Drakensberg.
Feel free to add your 5c’s worth!
- Go snorkeling at Ushaka Marine World
- Play a round of golf at Windsor Park Golf Course
- Visit Victoria Market for some spices
- Visit the Sharks Board
- Have a picnic at the Botanical Gardens
- Go check out the Natural Science Museum
- Take a trip on the Umgeni Steam train (Ichanga Choo Choo)
- Picnic on the beach
- Arrange a deep sea fishing trip with your mates
- Go for a sundowner harbour cruise
- Go camping at Inanda or Shongweni Dam
- Go fishing (fresh or sea water)
- Do the midlands meander
- Visit Butterflies for Africa, Pietermaritzburg
- Take a scenic flight along the Dolphin Coast in a microlight
- Scuba diving at Aliwal Shoal
- Go for a mountain bike ride in the valley of the 1000 hills
- Go for a hike/ fly fishing at the Ukhahlamba Drakensburg Mountains
- Shakaland Zulu Village
- Take the family for a bike ride at Giba Gorge
- Oribi Gorge Swing
- Karkloof Canopy Tours
- The big swing at Moses Mabhida Stadium
- Essenwood flea market
- Catch dinner and a show at the Heritage Theatre in Hillcrest
- Music in the Gardens
- Mini Town – Yes it does still exist!
- Shongweni Brewery
- Lunch at the Bierfassl Restaurant in the midlands
- Get active at Africa Adventure Centre (Rosetta): fishing, picnic, obstacle courses, pony rides etc.
- Guided horse rides at Kleinbosch, Nottingham Rd
- Visit the Comrades Museum, Pietermaritzburg
- Skydiving, Pietermaritzburg 072 214-6040
- Braai at the Midmar dam
- Take the kids candle dipping
- The African bird of prey sanctuary, off the N3 on the Lion Park Road 031 785 2981
- The Nottingham Road Brewery (take a designated driver)
- Drakensberg Horse Trails 082 337 8770
- Hot air ballooning, Drakensberg 073 334 7911
- Quad tour via Sani River to Black Mountain , Himeville (0)83 404-4422
- Sundowner horse ride, Bergville 082 337 8770
- Falcon Ridge Bird of Prey Centre , Drakensberg 082 774 6398
I’ve done all the hard work, all you need to do is make it happen!
Next Monday: Making the most of your weekend – Durban South and Durban North