The silly season is upon us and that means the roads are going to be busy. So if you’re travelling long distances or even just locally, please drive carefully and bear the following safety tips in mind:
- Obey the rules of the road and carry you drivers license with you.
- Plan the route to your holiday destination and allow you enough time to reach the destination.
- Make sure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before departure. All lights and indicators, windscreen wipers, brakes, steering, exhaust system and tyres should be carefully examined for faults.
- Do not overload.
- Try to avoid driving after dark if possible.
- Have a good rest before you embark on your journey.
- Take safety breaks every 2 hours or 200km.
- Do not drink and drive – Use a designated driver!
- Try to recognize potentially dangerous drivers on and pedestrians alongside the road and keep well clear of them.
- Be visible – drive with your lights on.
- Headlights should be dipped well before an approaching vehicle is within range of the main beam.
- Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
- Drive defensively.
- Stay within the speed limit at all times.
- Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so.
- Maintain at least a 2 second following distance – this distance should be increased at night, in foggy or rainy conditions and when the road is wet.
- Expect others not to be as obedient to the law as you are.
- Be courteous towards fellow road users – keep your temper and resist the temptation to retaliate.
- Avoid distractions while driving – Be alert at all times!
- Remember that emergency info is available on your cellular phone at ArriveAlive.mobi
Useful emergency numbers:
In an emergency, call the SAPS Emergency number, this number will allow you access to flying squad, fire department and ambulances: CALL: 10111
If you have any information about a suspected criminal or suspicious activity meriting police investigation and response, call Crime Stop 08600 10111
For poison information services in all areas call: 0800 33 3444.
Share these suggestions with your family and friends – And may you and your family have a happy and safe festive season!!