Frikkadels – South African braised meat balls – is a popular comfort food. This easy recipe will give you great results every time. Just make sure you get all the ingredients together before you get started – as there are quite a few spices involved!
1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground lamb
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
1 medium onion, finely chopped garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Grind the whole fennel and coriander seeds with a mortar and pestle until a coarse consistency, or place them in a small Ziploc bag and hammer with a meat mallet – smooth side.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients in the order given. Mix well so that everything is evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop – or a 1/3 cup measure – roll into balls then press slightly so they resemble chubby hamburgers – 2″ in diameter – 3/4″ thick.
- At this stage you can freeze them as you would hamburgers. To cook – heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan and brown on both sides.
- Use the pan juice to fry up some sliced onion and make a rich onion gravy.
- Return the patties to the gravy and cook on low until no longer pink.
- Serve on top of creamy garlic mashed potatoes or pasta.
Instead of onion gravy you can simmer them in a curry sauce made of fried onion, garlic, curry powder, coconut milk and crushed tomatoes – in even quantities – and serve on basmati rice.