Going on holiday is a true luxury, especially overseas holidays, which I have been fortunate enough to experience a number of times. The culture, the food, the people, the landscapes, the activities – everything is captivating and unique. It is an experience for the senses and the soul and this is what I absolutely revel in. However, holidays as with all good things, must come to an end and arriving home after a long trip is one of life’s small pleasures, well for me anyway! Suddenly I start to appreciate so many things; aaaah my own bed and comfy pillows, my pets, the food I love, the friends we socialise with, the language I can speak and understand and most definitely the 5 Roses Tea that I’ve craved for the past 2 weeks! No matter how “ubercool” my holiday was, I always find myself reflecting on the fact that there is no place like home.
I guess that makes me think of the saying, “home is where the heart is”, it’s that place you have grown to love, where all the familiar things that you know and appreciate are, it’s a place you understand and relate to, it’s the place you feel happiest!
With so many South Africans living and working overseas, I thought I would list a couple of things that I adore about South Africa, a real list of reasons t entice anyone to purchase a one-way ticket home!
So herewith a list of my top reasons for returning to Sunny South Africa:
- Zoo biscuits, biltong and braais. Need I say more?
- Obviously the Five Roses Tea…!!
- South Africa hasn’t earned the name Sunny South Africa for nothing, we have incredible weather. Enjoy a FREEZING 17 degrees on an average winters day in Durban. Brrrr.
- Experience a world of activities in South Africa. Have you ever been white water rafting on the Umkomaas, hiking in the berg, wine tasting in Stellenbosch, on Safari in Limpopo, Hot Air ballooning in Gauteng, Surfing in Durban or partied in Cape Town? If you haven’t done any of these things then we suggest you get the next plane back to Sunny land so that we can save you from a life of “boringness”!
- Yislaaaik, kiff bru, agh shame man, now now, eish…All the lingo you love and can understand! (Check out more slang in our slangtionary.)
- Let’s take a look at value for money in terms of purchasing a house, shall we. In South Africa you could buy a spacious 3 bed roomed house with a lawn, swimming pool and in close proximity to schools for approximately R2 million (perhaps even less). But in Australia, the UK or the States, you’ll be lucky if you come close to finding anything for the same value for money.
- For all the sporty South Africans out there or for those just wanting to burn off the effects of the Heathrow injection, you can Run, Paddle, Swim and Mountain Bike the biggest sporting races in South Africa: The Comrades, Dusi Canoe Marathon, Midmar Mile, Cape Epic and Cape Argus.
- Earn money, yes, earn m-o-n-e-y. Opportunities are abound for start-ups, skilled artisans as well as professionals. Help reverse the brain drain and come back to SA!
- Without trying to sound dramatic, this is a place where you can really give back and make a difference to the life of so many people, whether it be starting your own business, getting involved with community projects or supporting local initiatives.
- Fit in with the South African family – you have 11 official languages to choose from (plus various unofficial ones) and numerous cultures to experience. Viva South Africa.
- There is always an enthusiastic car guard to direct you into and out of every parking bay – This has personally saved me from a few expensive prangs!
- South Africa is dynamic; it has an infectious energy and passion about it that is difficult to understand unless you have lived here. When friends go to other countries (the countries South Africans often emigrate to) for a “look -see”, I’ll often hear them say, “it was great, really pretty, lots to do but it lacks something and I can’t quite put my finger on it.” And that is what I call the indescribable “buzz”, that is present in Africa’s air, it just can’t be reproduced anywhere else but Africa!
So what on earth are you waiting for? Book your ticket home now: